Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Who needs a gym membership?

As I was walking with my daughter to the park yesterday, I realized how ridiculous a gym membership can be. I'll get to the reasons why it's nice, but for now bear with me. Since my husband and I only have one car, I end up walking a lot. I walk to the park, the library, the store, the doctor's, you name it. I get a great work out just by not having a car. (In fact I was able to shed all that pregnancy weight in 9 months by walking so much.) So, since I don't have a car, or a gym membership, I save around $200 a month ($150 for loan/gas/wear & tear for the car & $50 for gym membership). I know this amount can drastically vary, but you get my point. I do yoga once a week and get my strength training every day picking up and carrying my daughter.

Ok, so now you're thinking in your head all the reasons why it's nice to have a membership. Well, I probably agree with some of them.
-If you have more than 2 kids (max capacity in a double stroller) it's nice to be able to drop them off at daycare and have an hour to yourself.
-In the winter when it's cold and rainy, I don't want to take my daughter out in it. And honestly I don't want to be out their either.
-Sometimes it's not safe or possible to walk out on to the street where you live. There are condos just down the way from me that don't have a sidewalk in front of their complex and it's on a major highway with no stoplight nearby.

There are probably more, but just ask yourself this: does your drive to the gym save you time or money? That 15 minute drive each way could have been spent jogging in your neighborhood, doing yard work, mowing your lawn, playing frisbee with your kids, riding your bike to work, walking to the grocery store, or doing an exercise video at home.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I love to take Rena for long walks when it is nice out. She loves it too.

    When it isn't nice out, sometimes I do an exercise video during her nap. The "videos" I use can actually be download for free at

    http://www.byub.org/totalbodyWorkout/episodes.asp

    They are produced by KBYU and taught by my favorite yoga instructor, Deni Preston. The series alternates yoga and aerobics. I like them b/c no one is scantily clad and she shows 3 different levels including adaptations pregnant women can make in many episodes.

    If you would prefer to buy the series, it is available on DVD for around $20 at

    http://creativeworks.byu.edu/Catalog/ViewItem.aspx?item=KB250

    ReplyDelete