Friday, June 19, 2009

Grow your own food.....it's so yummy!

As I sit here working on my bills, I'm also enjoying my garden view. Even though I live in a condo and have no land, I decided to try a little container gardening. My entire balcony is lined with pots filled with oh so yummy fruits and vegis. So far we've enjoyed herbs, lettuce, and peas. My tomatoes, pumpkin, carrots, onions, potatoes, cucumbers, squash, and brussel sprouts all look happy and I'm excited to start harvesting soon.

I've always enjoyed gardening and I find it therapeutic after a hard day to eat what I have cared for. However, there is also money saving possibilities in it as well. I have used all organic potting soil, seeds, and fertilizer. Though I am not seeking a USDA organic certification, I would probably qualify. We all know organic produce can cost up to twice as much as non-organic. The $0.25-0.50 worth of seeds, $0.50 worth of fertilizer, and $1 worth of water gives me on average $20 worth of produce per pot. Some are higher and some are less with many different factors. This year I did invest about $50 in getting it set up, but I will definitely get my money back with how well the plants are doing! :) Even my husband admitted this year that the garden was worth it. Usually, I have to drag him to weed, water, or anything else to do with the garden.

For those of you who have never gardened before, start out small with one or two different items. Figure out what works in the areas that you have and know that there are a ton of different ways to garden. A good start is getting a basic book from the library or ask someone you know what has worked for them. Even neighbors can have different soil/micro climates, so don't be discouraged if your garden doesn't look like your neighbors. Just keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment