Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How a $20 part saved me $180

Today's post comes from an experience I had yesterday. Though it was a frustrating experience (see http://www.consupo.com/reviews/bothell-ski-bike/great-bike-shop-not-completely-upfront-pricing for more details), I ended up saving money.

I have been borrowing my sister-in-laws bike for almost 3 years now and have always had problems with the gears slipping. I have been putting up with it, but now I have to pull a trailer for my girl and I live up hill. Not fun. So, I have been fiddling with the idea of buying a nice bike off of Craigslist and have found a few that looked good. Before I did anything I visited my local bike shop and talked with someone a little more knowledgeable about bikes to talk options. Turns out my bike only needed a $20 part. (The ride home was filled with amazing shifting.) The bikes on Craigslist were in the $200 range. I just saved $180! :)

I'm still stuck with a old, kind of beat up bike (sorry Emily), but I consider it repayment for her letting me use it all this time (thanks Emily). Even if I had bought a bike 3 years ago, it still would have cost me more than $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment