Monday, June 8, 2009

Tip #11: Shop Around

I know this contradicts Tip #2, but I promise it will be worth it if you keep reading!

We all know that prices differ from store to store and from area to area, so you can always save money by comparing prices and shopping around. It might just pay to stop by just one more store to get a better price. (For skeptics, please read below...)

I hate to do this, but I have found a way to kind of get around this time sucking tip. I find a store that is really good at informing me about a type of product and decide there what I want to purchase. Then I can go home, look up prices online or call other stores, and find out who has the better price. Also, a lot of stores match or beat prices. My husband and I bought some front-loading washer and dryer set a couple of years and used this method. We ended up saving $500 by having the store beat a competitors price. It's so worth it!

Problems: It can be time consuming and gas guzzling to do this since you will have to take at least two trips out to the store. However, think about how much money you could possibly save. For the 2 hours of work I did for the washer and dryer, we saved $500. Which at the time was an entire weeks worth of pay. Even if you only did this for big purchases, it would pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment