Thursday, November 24, 2011

Christmas Ornament
















My name is Carol and Cindi is my wonderful youngest daughter. She is letting me test my very limited skills at new technology (well, new for me anyway) by letting me contribute to her blog.

One of the things that I do at Christmas for my grandchildren is the 12 Days of Christmas. I made bags out of Christmas material that I had in my fabric stash. One for each day. I then find little things to put in them that they may like. This year I decided to include an ornament. I’m on a kick to use up all the supplies that I have on hand. (I’m trying to reduce all the stuff that my kids will have to go through when I die. You know how it is when an old lady dies, she has boxes and boxes of “stuff”) I had seen a Christmas tree ornament made out of a zipper in a magazine. Well, I have a bunch of zippers that I will never use so I went to my zipper drawer (yes, it is indeed a drawer, but a little one) and sorted through them and didn’t find any green zippers that would work. I had some white coat zippers and thought I could make some snowmen. With a bit of trial and error I came up with one that didn’t look too bad. I even found an orange zipper to use for the nose.















What you will need is a white zipper (I used a 28 inch jacket zipper, which makes two, but any zipper over 17 inches will work), an orange zipper or orange felt or other material for the nose, ribbon, yarn or material for the scarf and some button thread, carpet thread or some other thicker thread to use for the loop to hang the ornament from.

Cut the white zipper into two lengths. One 17 inches for the body and one 81/2 inches for the head. Make a circle so that it will complete the circle twice. (see picture) for both the head and body. I glue both ends of the zipper and then put a dot of glue opposite the ends to keep the circle together. When you do this for the head make sure you don’t put the dot of glue where you will be sewing on the loop. You can’t get a thread and needle through the glue (ask me how I know this).  Using a glue gun, glue the circles together. Cut a triangle for the nose. With the orange zipper I cut it so the coils of the zipper were up. Add the scarf and glue in place. Add the loop hanger and then stand back and admire your handiwork.

If you don’t have a stash of zippers you might ask your mom or grandma or the nice old lady next door. They may have just what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment