Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gazpacho

So I have failed at posting things for you guys, but here's one to take for your 4th of July weekend! My sister made Gazpacho for dinner this evening and it was a nice cool dinner that requires no oven being turned on! Gazpacho is a Spanish cold-soup. Its main ingredients are tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and onion. It was served with cold croutons and cheese. She got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen, but I just did a google for it and a ton of recipes showed up.

Why do you ask that I mention it? Well, every single ingredient (minus the vinegar) came from left overs from my other sister's wedding. Which means it didn't cost us basically anything to make it. This might be a great meal for those of you who have a garden and are trying to use up all your vegetables.

This also brings up a skill that I have not quite mastered yet, but am working on. That is being able to look into your pantry/fridge/freezer, see what needs to be used up, and make a delicious meal out of it. A lot of food, which means money, is wasted from not being able to use it up. I would have never thought of making Gazpacho since I had never heard of it, but my sister had and suggested that as our dinner. I realized that I could learn a ton from someone with more experience. I might be giving her a call next time I have random things to use up. Online is also another good resource. A lot of recipe sites allow you to search by ingredient. Does anyone have good recipe sites they like?

1 comment:

  1. One of my friends introduced me to one called Supercook. The web site is supercook.com. You enter in the things you have in your house and a list on the right pops up with recipes that only require those ingredients. I have used it a couple of times and loved it.

    ReplyDelete