Monday, May 11, 2009

Tip #5: Learn to Cut Hair

I know it seems daunting, but the basics of cutting hair is pretty simple. If you can get enough guinea pigs (i.e. your children), you'll have it mastered in no time! Also, make sure to invest in the proper tools. If you don't have them, cutting hair will be incredibly frustrating.

My Story: After almost 5 years of marriage, I finally convinced my husband to let me cut his hair on a regular basis. He had let me do it occasionally until then. We bought a hair cutting kit from Costco for $25 and have used it ever since. After just a year, we have saved $95 (10 haircuts at $12 a piece - the cost of the kit). For the next 40 years of marriage we would save $4,800!
I have never been too picky about my hair and have had others cut it my entire life. I don't dye it either, which helps with the cost. By allowing others to cut my hair, I save about $60 a year.

Go Green: You don't have to drive anywhere??? :)

Problems: For those of you who love your hair, it's hard to trust your spouse or friend to cut your hair. However, I'm sure you know at least one professional who could cut your hair and you could do something for them in exchange (i.e. babysitting, cook dinner, etc.).

1 comment:

  1. I always cut Ben's hair and I know it saves us money. I don't know what I'm doing, but it's pretty easy with the clippers & scissors. :) Plus, he never comes home with a weird haircut and I don't have to say, "Why did you let them do that to you???" :)

    ReplyDelete