Friday, May 8, 2009

Tip #3: Save Your Warranty Info

It's simple, create a filing system for all of those random warranties and put your date of purchase on it. If you really want to be detailed, include the original ISBN number/barcode from the packaging and your receipt. Also, don't forget to register your product if the option is given. If you do this, then you will have all the info to get an item replaced/fixed if anything happens to it (which means you won't have to pay to replace it if it's within the warranty period) and the company will be able to contact you if the item is recalled.

My Story: I can't tell you how many times this has saved me! My first example is with the tupperware that I have. They have a 5 year warranty and about 2 years into using them, two of them were cracking. I called the company and they sent me replacements, no questions asked! The next year another one was cracking and I called again. This time they had me take pictures of them and send them to them, but then 2 weeks later I had a brand new one on my door step! Didn't cost me a thing. The other example I have is with my baby stroller. The parent cup-holder broke on it within the first year I had it and, again, all I had to do was call the company and they sent me a new one for free. To replace it would have cost $15 + shipping costs.

Go Green: Wait....I'm thinking.....ok here I go, some products would be useless if a part was broken on it and if the part replacement cost is close to actual product replacement cost, then you might as well replace it, right? Well, not if it's replaced for free. That way you don't have to toss that perfectly good product. :)

Problem: The only problems I thought of is having to store the information (though mine only takes up about 6 inches worth of filing space) and the time it takes to make sure you gather all of the product manuals, receipts, registration info, etc. But, I definitely think the time spent is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment